[SPAM] [at-l] Re: watches

>   me. Question: Does knowing the barometer readings help in predicting
>   the upcoming weather? That could be useful. [...]
Yes, it does.  Rises and falls in barometric pressure indicate changes
in weather.   I have used a Brunton Sherpa for years when outdoors for
that very reason.  The Sherpa (which I do not think is produced any
longer) displays a historical 16 hour pressure graph.  The rule of
thumb is, and it's not exact for fairly close, is the faster the
pressure drops the more quickly a storm, or weather change, will move
in.  The good news is the storm is moving quickly so it will most
likely be gone quickly as well.  A gradual decline means that the rain
will be around for a good bit of time, so plan on wearing the rain gear
all day.  The graph is going down slowly and it already is raining you
are in for a true long-term soaker.  :)

Years ago I wrote an article on-line about this very topic for the Jeep
crowd, when I was into such things.  The idea behind the article was
using the data to decide if you could leave the top and doors off all
day without worrying about rain.  Looking back at the text the article
is an embarrassment and I would have written it quite differently
today.  Oh well. :)

While surfing for a watch/sherpa combo I came cross this thing, which
only only has pressure (and a 9 hour graph) but temp, windchill, wind
speed (which I find fairly useless on my Serpa), time, alarm, and just
about everything else except GPS.  Can't have everything, I guess, but
this thing sure looks like a winner.  I hope it is light enough to
actually consider using.

http://www.ambientweather.com/wwwewapro.html

Greg