From: at-l-bounces@backcountry.net [mailto:at-l-bounces@backcountry.net]
On Behalf Of SLIM aka Nancy
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 4:18 AM
To: List _AT-L
Subject: [at-l] Trek across Australia

Went to the Banff Film Festival last week.
Extreme skiing, snowboarding biking and finally a trek across Australia
by John Muir (not the naturalist) This guy walked 1600 miles across
deserts with his little Jack Russell terrier. Pulled a huge cart with
300 lbs of food and other supplies. He accepted no help although rarely
available. The cart had wide wheels. It bogged down in the mud. He
crossed desserts, hills, lakes and rivers. Had to shoot the dingos that
circled his camp. The little dog died from eating poisoned bait John had
set out for the dingos. The man lost 30% of his body weight in the 116
days it took to complete the journey. At the end he was so exhausted he
abandoned the cart and put on a backpack. I almost jumped up and yelled
"YES!!!"  If ya'll get a chance to see this go for it. Its exciting. BTW
4 months later he walked across the Arctic. He did Everest previously.
And we think we have it tough.
Any day's a good day to hike,
SLIM aka Nancy

"I do not ask to walk smooth paths, nor bear an easy load,
I pray for strength and fortitude to climb the rock-strewn road.
Give me such courage, I can scale the heartiest peaks alone,
And transform every stumbling block into a stepping stone."
---unknown