[at-l] "any watch will do..." ???

Yup.  I carried a cheap watch with an alarm.  Turns out I could only hear the
alarm when the watch was directly on my ear.  I was not about to afix the watch
to a headband and sleep with it in that position.  Tinnitis sucks.

I used it every morning to tell me what time I left a shelter and occasionally
in towns.  The rest of the time it annoyed everyone around me because I
couldn't tell whether it was beeping or not.

I finally gave it away in Maine.
They don't make watches that vibrate, do they?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

--- David Hicks <daveh@psknet.com> wrote:
> In my case, "any watch will do..."  will not do -- as most who have camped
> (usually trail workers) with me know.  In fact, most watches will not do --
> at
> less as far as my getting up late is concerned.
>
> I have a three different watches my kids gave me because, "This one is so
> loud
> that it has to work."  Wrong!
>
> The frequency used for alarms by nearly all watches is in a dead zone, for
> me.
>
> So a tad of advice for anyone who even suspects that they may have some
> hearing loss -- have the store personnel set off the alarm for you before
> buying "any watch."
>
> Chainsaw
>
> BTW -- as this is primarily an AT list I agree that the many neat features
> now
> available to wear on the wrist may be fun, but fall well into the NBNN
> category, as far as the AT, itself, is concerned.  However, on other less
> well
> traveled,/marked trails everything from elevation to GPS can be helpful --
> very helpful in some cases.

There stands he, his Universe one huge Manger, filled with hay and thistles to be weighed against each other; and looks long-eared enough.
JestBill  Ga--->Me '03