[at-l] Preparation and the "Hike ended short after 13 miles"

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:16:44 -0500
From: "Bob C" <ellen@clinic.net>

I'm always amazed at those who start what is obviously a very
difficult six month project with almost no preparation.
### Me, too.

> I met people on Springer in 1993 who were wearing a backpack
for the first time. The amazing thing is that a few of them
quickly get their act together and make it to Katahdin.
### Saw that too. I think it's a function of their lack of
preconcieved notions -- they know little and whacked into sense
more easily than those who think they've got a clue (only to
find out they were in fact dead wrong).

Has there ever been anyone thru hiking for the first time,
regardless of preparation, who hasn't been a bit surprised at
what they actually experienced while wending through Georgia and
North Carolina?
### Actually, on this score, my expectations were right on
target. The only "real" trail intelligence I had in 1978 was
from a book I received for Christmas called "Appalachian
Odyssey" (Sutton?), which painted sufficient pictures in my mind
that I (accurately) imagined the hiking in Georgia to be similar
to Connecticut. I thought that was right on target. (The AT in
CT is now very different, so.....) But on the mental/tactical
expectations, I was much like the half-experienced types
described above, and spent many miles *miserable* in missed
expectations that I did not modify for hundreds (hoooooo boy) of
miles.

### But your question (to me) implies that Georgia is "tough",
and I find that a rude myth we need not perpetuate (if we're
really serious about the "regardless of preparation" clause).
I've hiked Georgia 3 times now:

April 1979 "hard, like Connecticut" age:18 training: zero
Sept. 1993 "easy, a stroll"         age 33 training: 5miles/day
Dec   2003 "easy, a stroll"         age 43 training: 5miles/wk?

No matter the intelligence on gear or dedication, that proffered
on lack of physical preparation ("I'm going to get in shape on
the trail; it's really the only *right* wayyyy...") is just the
stupidest thing I hear. Criminal.

strolltoe

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.