[at-l] AT questions

Biodegrablity is not an issue for any detergent.  The problem
occurs when the detergent contains phosphates which causes
algae blooms.  Detergents are composed of sodium salts of
fatty acid and there are bacteria all over the world that
just loves the stuff.  Just don't pour your wash water in a
stream, pour it on the ground.  Soil bacteria are much more
effective

Having said that, some of the addatives may cause problems.
I cannot imagine how Ivory would cause any problems.

Bob Dudley
AKA Grey Owl
Who also worked as a microbiologist

>"...has anyone used Bronners peppermint or almond soap as
their only trail soap, shampoo, laundry, dishes?  are their
better lighter options?"

>I use nothing but a sliver of Ivory soap for everything.
I've never seen a hostel with shampoo, other than bottles
left by other hikers. Ivory soap works as shampoo, though
hard water diminishes it a bit for that purpose and others.
Before a chorus of LNT messages, I have seen no evidence that
Ivory is either more or less biodegradeable than Bronners,
and I've been looking and asking for years.