[at-l] Type-II diabetes

Got some not-so-great news last week - along with being an old fart (I am
55), I was told that I my sugar was way too high and have been "officially"
dubbed as a type-II diabetic.  Doctor has told me that we are going to try a
regime of diet and exercise to see if we can get it under control before
trying any kind of medication, although at 6' and 194, I don't have a whole
lot to loose - yeah, I do need to get my butt out of my chair and exercise
more than the 2 - 3 times a week at the Y I do now.

My question to any of you also type-II hikers out there - any specific types
of foods that you prepare for taking on your hikes?  How about a
light-weight fairly rugged meter?  And have you replaced the ubiquitous
Snickers with anything else to get you up and over the long pulls?  I am
trying to prep for my Smokies hike this April, so I need to start doing some
research and planning now.

Please don't hesitate to contact me off list if you want to.

Thanks - appreciate any feedback.

Old man WhoAh