[at-l] Hike ended short after 13 miles

Skylander:

Steve says:
You may be much better served by a pack which doesn?t need a chest strap.
My chest is, I suppose, fairly typical. There are numerous packs which fit
me without the need of a chest strap to keep the shoulder straps from
slipping, let alone not slipping completely off my shoulders.

Could it be that your shoulder straps are too large for your body build?  Shoulder straps that fit don't slide off your shoulders.

The only time I use the sternum strap or the light-belt strap (of the LWGear 1 LB mesh pack) is when the terrain is dicey or I'm climbing and need the pack not remain motionless.  Normally I don't use the belt or the sternum strap.

YMMV, Auntie Coosa
http://auntiecoosa.blogspot.com