[at-l] weather at key spots

Amy,

Reference your post, 03-03-05, advising, ?I'd like to keep an eye on the
weather down south so I can see what I'm heading for.?

Hey, kids, it's story time. - - Krusty The Clown.

I called the Inn at Amicalola Falls, near the end of the first week in March
some years ago, and asked about the weather.  They advised daytime
temperatures were in the forties and were predicted to increase by ten
degrees for each of the following two days.  They advised this was the
typical weather pattern.

I didn?t have much time to prepare and considered taking only shorts and a
20 degree rated sleeping bag.

I took a sleeping bag rated to minus 20 degrees and included long fleece
pants.

My first night there, it rained.  I felt really stupid since it was going to
be much too warm for what I had brought.

The next night, and for days afterward, towns along the AT broadcast
temperatures of minus 20 degrees.  Thermometers on the AT pegged out at
minus 20 degrees - their lowest point - until about 10:00 am, in direct
sunlight, when they began to rise.  One day, when the temperature reached
plus 20 degrees, I was about to change into shorts, it felt so warm.  I
didn?t, only because I was about to stop to eat lunch and knew I wouldn?t be
generating sufficient heat since I wouldn?t be walking.

It?s nice ?... to keep an eye on the weather down south ...? but it may not
be representative of what you will actually encounter.

All the best, and stay warm.

Steve