[at-l] Memory lane...

Felix wonders about the first search engine.

In the 80's only gopher, FTP and such were available as Internet access
beyond email. I believe the concept of WWW began around 92-93 with the
folks who eventually wrote Netscape and sold out to AOL. If I recall
correctly, the earliest search engine I recall was WWW.AltaVista.Com around
'95. This led to others and quite a speculative market. Every portal
candidate has some sort of search engine (Excite, Yahoo, Google and
others). There are even search engines for more specific topics, like
Westlaw, Medline and such.

OrangeBug