[at-l] Re: Ring a bell and change OR take a step that leads to another

In a message dated 3/1/2005 1:45:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

Worse  off are those who pursue those dreams and fail.

Oh, I don't think so.  To pursue a dream and not reach the  accomplishment of
that dream is something a lot better than to never pursue the  dream in the
first place.  First of all, it shows a person what the dream  can be, and that
the first steps taken toward the goals held are  exhilarating.  Second, the
process of progress toward the goal takes  strength and imagination and a bit of
fortitude, and these are worthy  efforts.  Third, the pursuance of a dream is
an act of courage and shows a  spirit of being alive.  Fourth, the failure to
complete the effort  towards the dreamt of goal instills knowledge and
provides such for the  next attempt or at the least, provides understanding of what
others have  accomplished in the successful pursuit of their dream.

This applies to the dream of hiking the whole Appalachian Trail (a
through-hike) or a portion thereof. It also applies to other dreams in the world  of
business and finance or in the seeking of an education or achieving some
expertise in musical ability.  Dreams can be achieved and the very act of  taking
the opportunity to step out toward the goal is an act of courage and  leads
toward the building of character.

The many who attempted to hike the AT and who did not complete  their dream
have found their physical or psychological limit and yet they have  time to
dream on or to start again.  Each step is a victory, each new input  of knowledge
helps a person to grow.

"I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be  content."  Of
course it is nice to be in a state bordering the AT if not  actually on the AT
itself.

Skylander