[at-l] water, filters, tablets, etc.

>2)  I am told there was an informal study done a few years back of AT
>thru-hikers where reported intestinal disease rates were compared for
>three small - one that did not purify at all; one that used filters, and
>one that used iodine - supposedly, the rates of serious stomach troubles
>were roughly the same for all three groups . . .

I find it hard to believe that treating the water would not influence
the outcome of any study one way or the other.   I think that treating
the water should either help or hurt.  It is hard to believe that it did
neither.  It would be easier for me to believe that treating the water
hurt rather than having no effect at all.
My common sense tells me that this study must be flawed in some way.

Panzer