[at-l] trip report -- Florida Trail part 2

Day Two -- About 7:30 I decided it was late enough to get up, so I first took
some pictures of the sunrise from my tent and then arose. We had a fun
breakfast, little knowing what a hard day was to come. The first part of the day was
pretty easy hiking, but we were beginning to feel dehydrated. The water
rationing was taking a toll because the weather was both warmer and more humid. We
saw a man through the woods riding the forest road on his golf cart, his
Springer Spaniel beside him. We would have begged him for water, but, though he
glanced at us, he kept on riding. He was too far away for us to stop him easily.

About then we were also beginning to grumble about the trail guide. There are
very few landmarks cited. The trail guide reads like this: Mile 22.8 Trail
crosses FR 321;   Mile 23 - Trail briefly joins FR 321-C; Mile 23.4 Trail
briefly joins FR 321-C; Mile 25.6 Trail crosses FR 365; Mile 26.3 Trail crosses
Sopchoppy River. This might be helpful if there were any way of telling what road
we were crossing or joining, but there isn't. There are no signs on the roads
at all where the trail crosses. Also, there are many more roads than the guide
indicates. We crossed or briefly joined dozens of roads - - or the same road
dozens of times. How to know?

Since we had no way of knowing how far we were ahead of ourselves the first
day, we also had no way of telling where we were the second day. We muttered
about why the guide book would post us on our position by mentioning roads that
couldn't be identified. All day long we tried to figure out where we were and
got frustrated by not being able to do so. We would find a certain
configuration of roads on the map and decide we had a fix. Then we would find another
configuration just like the first, but there was only one such marked on the map.
Apparently there are a number of new roads since the map was made. I felt
like we were in Catch-22, where moving the pins on the map moved the bombing
lines. Somehow, it felt that if we could just move our position forward on the
map, we would actually be there.

One thing that held us up was our first water stop. The water looked
terrible, but we felt we had no choice but to get some. The trail ran parallel to a
forest road, which at one point had a big puddle in it. Further investigation
showed that there was source of very slowly moving water off to one side, and we
did not have to take water right from the puddle. It was not easy to gain
access though, and we were in amongst weeds and thickets and had very little room
to work. I kept expecting to see a cottonmouth ready to get me.

Another aside -- That reminds me of the wonderful encouragement offered by
friends and relatives prior to this trip. Hopeful said he thought a Florida
Trail trip might be bland, but maybe we'd be lucky enough to be chased by a 'gator
to liven things up. My brother-in-law Mike gleefully informed me that we
should be able to see many snakes this time of year because it was getting warmer,
and, of course, they would be hungry after being in hibernation. Thank you,
guys! ;-> Turns out we saw no wildlife at all. I did run into some spider webs,
and we did see a lot of scat in some places, mostly coyote and bear, but no
critters.

But, I digress. The water was hard to get to and then I did the iodine
incorrectly. I started reading the instructions and thought I remembered that I
could put in the neutralizer after five minutes and did so. We had lunch in this
spot also, and by the time we finished and I thought my water would be ready, I
realized I'd neutralized my water much too soon. So we wondered if I could
just add some more iodine, but we decided I should use eArThworm's filter
instead and not take chances. This turned out to be a long stop. Moving on from here
proved difficult too. We had to cross the water source. The trail had
recently been cut and there were staubs, sometimes multiple ones from some kind of
shrub, in the water, which we had to step over or on. This was tricky going and
a slip or fall could have been very dangerous.

The ease picked up then and we moved along more easily, thinking we were far
ahead of where we were. Finally we came to a bit if water which an optimistic
person might call a river. Could this be the Sopchoppy? eArThworm sort of
thought it was, but also felt it didn't look quite right. Things weren't the way
she remembered from a previous trip. We decided we'd go into the woods a short
distance, have something to eat and a bit of a rest, and then decide whether
to move on or camp there.

Having learned not to pass water, I finished drinking one bottle and went
back to the road to fill my water bag for us. As I came out of the woods, a truck
drove by and I waved it down. The driver must have wondered what in the world
was going on. Here was an older woman exiting the woods, miles from anywhere,
with nothing but a nylon bag in her hands. I asked if he knew the road
number, but he didn't. He said all he knew was where the roads went, driving from
local knowledge, you know. So I asked if this was the Sopchoppy River beside us.
He did his best not to grin. No, absolutely not the Sopchoppy. Drat, says I.
The Sopchoppy, he says, is up quite a piece. That sounded bad. He did say
maybe I could tell where I was by the fact that there was a nature trail just up
the road. Yes, I said. I knew about that. We had just hiked out of that part of
the woods. Well, he says, all he can tell me then is that this is definitely
not the Sopchoppy. Sigh.

Funny that this water and the bridge is not even mentioned in the trail guide
directions. Looks like it is big enough to be included, especially since
roads that can't be identified are in there. We decided it would not ruin our
wilderness experience at all to have a sign right before exiting the woods telling
us what road it is and how far it is to the river.

So we hike on, getting tired, and no doubt worsted by our lack of sleep.
Finally we came to a couple forest roads and a sign on a tree that said "River"
and had an arrow pointing down the trail. Another sign was right under the blaze
on the tree we'd just passed. It said "Home" and had an arrow the oother way.
We cheered. We must be close to the river, we concluded, or why the sign.
Soon we were in a swamp, a bog -- thick, black muck. This went on for a mile or
more. Hard to tell the distance because it was such hard going.   In some
places, my hiking poles sank halfway down their shafts. We were careful not to put
a foot without checking first to see if we would disappear. Probably it
wouldn't have come to that, but there were places where I believe I would have sunk
in to my knees at least.

This section really slowed us down. Every step had to be tested. Feet sank
and had to be pulled out of the muck. Branches snapped against our faces and
briars grabbed our legs. I told eArThworm that if it were in the least bit
feasible, I would simply sit down and refuse to move. As it was, there was no place
to stop even to rest. We slugged on as best we could until we finally reached
the end of the bog, though still not the river, which was where we were going
to camp. At long last we crossed the Sopchoppy and found our campsite, only to
find a huge tree limb in it, making the whole thing impossible for tents.
There was only about enough room for our two tents if the tree hadn't been there,
and the branch took up all the space. But we went about 25-30 feet down the
trail and once again found a nice place to camp right on the trail itself.

We might have stopped slightly earlier than planned and camped on a sand bar
when we reached the Sopchoppy, but we had passed two men camped where they
would have been too close by for our comfort. They said they had come across the
wet part of Bradwell Bay, and were enjoying a drink and a cigar. We may have
totally misjudged them, but they seemed a little rough and made us feel
nervous. We felt it was better to be a little further down the trail. When we got set
up, I told eArThworm that I had been fussing in my mind about how these two
guys were camped right on the trail, but then we found ourselves camping right
in the middle of the trail . . . again. Oops. We decide this should be called
the trail tenting trek.

Once again we had a lovely evening. Since the night was warmer and trees
diluted the moonlight, we both slept like those logs you hear so much about.

Vcat