[at-l] gear

I don't think I'm ready for a thru-hike just yet.  But, I am ready for a
good long hike.  And, I've got 8 weeks of vacation stacked up.  So, I'm
planning a southern AT hike in the May-July time frame: from Harper's
Ferry, down the AT as far as I can get in the vacation time I have, and
still do the trail throughly.

I'm looking to get a summer bag.  My winter bag was a North Face 0? down
mummy.  It has a short zipper that makes me feel confined, and is
difficult to adjust to warmer temperatures.  I kind of like what I read
about this 35? degree Western Mountaineering down mummy:
http://www.backcountry.com/store/WES0003/Western-Mountaineering-HighLite-Sleeping-Bag-35-Degree-Down.html
I'd choose a long zipper option.  That would probably add a bit to the
listed 1lb. weight.  Whacha think?  Could this be the right bag for
summer solstice in the Smokies?

I also need to get a new pair of shoes.  My Salomons blister me.  I like
the description of the Montrail Hardrock Trail Runners:
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1841390/c/37349.html
Mostly, I recall Listers being fond of New Balance.  Does anyone here
have any experience with Montrail Hardrock?  I was looking over the Keen
selection at Zappos...and I'm curious about hiking with sandals.  (The
"Boulders" look like the offspring of sandals and trail runners.)  Are
there listers who use sandals on the AT?  Do you get stuck with sticks
and grovel with gravel in sandals?  On the other extreme: are gaiters
worth the sweat in summer?