[at-l] embarrassing mom

I advised William, ?One woman, not a member observed, ?A bunch of losers get
together, wear red hats, and think they are alive.? ?

The woman who made the statement worked with many of the women, who
constitute a particular ?Red Hat Society,? for several years.  She knows
them to be ?losers.?

I believe it is possible to accumulate knowledge of ?losers.?  I accept her
description.  I didn?t understand  the statement to generalize beyond the
people she knew.

I fear I made the quote without sufficiently delimiting the context.  My
shortcoming seems to have generated significant misunderstanding and some
hurt feelings.

Skylander observed, ?... consider that with encouragement people have
opportunity to change.  ...  These people show that they are alive by being
open to action.  They have taken steps to get together and declare that they
want to break out from their past and begin to be more open to life.?

An amoeba demonstrates it?s alive by moving away from a heated probe.  I
understood the usage of ?alive? in the quote to be more meaningful.

I opined, ?I don?t believe you can live a certain way for 50 years and then,
with the ring of an imaginary bell, become something else.  You live an
interesting life or you don?t.?

I stand by that.

Jim advised he and his wife feel too confined joining a group, any group.  I
understand that feeling passionately.  I hope Jim and his wife, and I and my
wife are all healthy.

Kinnickinic reveals she is a member of the named group and feels slighted
that someone would ?... categorize women in this way.?  I think subsequent
posts misunderstood my point, and these posts have helped change the
understanding of the original quote.

Or something like that.  This hasn?t come out all that well.

Steve