[at-l] Red Hat Ladies--OT

In a message dated 2/26/2005 9:09:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

> I suppose some people need the support of a group to step out of their mold
>
> and do something different. I find groups confining. You end up doing what
> 'the group', meaning one or more of the leaders, wants to do. I have a
> perfectly good sense of what I want to do. I need no one else to tell me.
> The down side of going it alone is that sometimes companionship would be
> nice. So far though, all the groups I've ever considered joining made more
> demands for conformity than I have been willing to trade for the
> companionship. I think perhaps women are socialized to be 'joiners' more so
> than men, thus it is the women who are the backbone of most churches.
> Except for my wife of course. She's as stubbornly independent as I am.

This is ridiculous, to categorize women in this way.  I am a member of the
Red Hat Society, which has a very open membership of women who just want to have
fun for the day.
How silly to try to appear superior by condemning such an occasion or the
women who laugh and enjoy their common secret.  What a weak person would be
threatened by this.

I'm sorry, you know I value you as a person/cyberhiker, but on this one you
are WAAAAY out of line.

Sawnie Robertson
(Kinnickinic)