[at-l] Water filters vs. Tablets?

YO,
	The couple of times that I carried a filter on the AT, I sent it home
at the first post office. I enjoyed using an in line filter for
several years while drinking from a hose in mild weather. Filters and
hoses freeze up in cold weather. Mostly over the last 20 years I have
just drank the water from springs and small streams along the AT. I do
carry some Aqua-Mira for ponds and rivers or other times I feel it
wise. It is much better than choking down iodine water or the old
Halazone tabs we used many years ago. I think a few drops of clorox
are a waste of time. I think it would take swimming pool strength
clorox to do any good in a reasonable amount of time. Unless it is a
dry season I almost don't need to carry water in Georgia. There are so
many streams so often I just drink when I get to them.
	I am not recommending this method, only sharing what I have done for
thousands of miles. I spend more time in the woods than most folks and
some say you can develop some sort of tolerance this way. I wouldnt
drink the water in Mexico for example, but the natives there do.
	The first thing on staying well is hygiene. In the absense of faucets
with running water a lot of hikers tend to not wash their hands as
often as they normally might.  A Purell type hand cleaner is  a handy
way to improve hygiene. Don't forget to clean up after handling
shelter registers, or anything around a shelter for that matter. In
past years groups of hikers sometimes come down with gastric
disorders. Often after being hold up together during snow storms etc.
The ones that practice extra caution often are not infected.
	Another thought to ponder. I believe that the use of filters may
spread bad things from one spring to the next. Most people drop that
foul filter inlet hose right in the spring to pump water. So whats the
chance that they are infecting the spring with something from another
spring. This is true especially for the ones with a prefilter that
drops in the water. Just wondering.

chase