[at-l] Hikes for Other Reasons---

>> Can't anyone admit anymore that they just want to go do
>> it because they
>> need to do it for their own satisfaction?
>>

> I can.  I hike for my own self indulgent pleasure.

Myself, I hike to get away from the rest of the world's
self-indulgent behavior. By comparison, and by all outward
appearances, my hiking is not self-indulgent.

I also do not raise money with my hikes. Rather, I raze
(lose) it. So it's actually self-sacrifice. Money burned not
on the altar of greed, but over the evening campfire one
humble noodle at a time.

For millions of years humankind has walked primarily for
their own satisfaction. To our hunting/gathering
primogenitors, it meant physical survival. In more recent
history, it has sometimes granted financial survival. To
some of us today the satisfaction of walking still equates
with survival -- emotional survival in a world of
increasingly self-indulgent behavior.

- blisterfree