[at-l] Shenandoah trip report

On Feb 21, 2005, at 9:06 AM, ATtrailhiker@wmconnect.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/21/2005 5:24:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> askowronek@mindspring.com writes:
>

> Still, I ended the trip a little depressed. You can see more in the
>  winter, but what you can see is dead. Being surrounded by that much
>  lifelessness got to me. Plus the only human being I spoke to the whole
>  time was the ranger at the entrance station. "Stay warm!" she said.
>

> I feel the same way. I love the greenery much better. But I still go
> out day hiking in the winter to keep from going crazy :-)
>
> I think it's great that you have the courage to sleep out in the cold
> like that. I have yet to try that. Now if it's going to be an
> unusually warm weekend I'm definitely out there. Otherwise I'm just a
> 3-season camper. Way to go!

Heh.  Thanks.  I must admit that at 9 pm when I'd been in bed for three
hours but hadn't fallen asleep yet, I thought "You could pack up, walk
out, and spend the night in your own warm bed."  But that would have
missed out on the serenity-gaining aspects of the trip.  Plus I needed
to test out my sleep system for my trip this year.

-amy