[at-l] Outdoor Quotes Part 2 of 3

Jan 6 04

...who can say where a voyage starts - not the the
actual passage

but the dream of a journey and its urge to find a way?

--William Least Heat Moon, RIVER HORSE

Jan 9 04

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I
want to think,

all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to
read, and

all the friends I want to see. --John Burroughs

Jan 13 04

Does the road wind uphill all the way?

Yes, to the very end.

Will the journey take the whole long day?

>From morn to night, my friend.

--Christina Rossetti, UPHILL

Jan 16 04

Our eyes may see some uncleaness,

But let our mind not see things that are not clean,

Our ears may hear some uncleaness,

But let not our mind hear things are are not clean.

--Shinto prayer

Jan 20 04

On the trail marked with pollen, may I walk.

With grasshoppers about my feet, may I walk.

With dew about my feet, may I walk.

With beauty, may I walk.

--Navajo prayer

Jan 23 04

For you shall go out with joy, be led forth with
peace;

The mountains and the hills shall break forth before
you into singing,

and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

-- Isaiah 55:12

Jan 27 04

No one goes there anymore. Its too crowded! --Yogi
Berra

Jan 30 04

A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the
world.

—-John Le Carre

Feb 3 04

The man with the knapsack is never lost. No matter
whither he may stray, his food

and shelter are right with him, and home is wherever
he may choose to stop.

—-Horace Kephart

Feb 6 04

Most people are pantywaists. Exercise is good for you!

—-Emma ‘Grandma’ Gatewood, at age 67
first woman to thru-hike

the Appalachian Trail (1955)

Feb 9 04

There are three great times of thinking:

On the john, in the shower, and while walking.

And the greatest of these is walking...

--Colin Fletcher, THE COMPLETE WALKER

Feb 13 04

Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke.

--Lynda Barry

Feb 17 04

There are none happy in the world but beings who enjoy
freely a vast horizon.

--Thoreau

Feb 20 04

"The world looks brand-new," said Hobbes.

"A New Year ... a fresh clean start," said Calvin.

"It's like having a big white sheet of paper to draw
on," said Hobbes.

"A day full of possibilities," said Calvin.

"It's a magical world, Hobbes old buddy ... let's go
exploring."

--last words of the CALVIN AND HOBBES comic strip

Feb 24 04

Our suicidal poets (Plath, Berryman, Lowell, Jarrell,
et al.) spent too much of their

lives inside rooms and classrooms when they should
have been trudging up

mountains, slogging through swamps, rowing down
rivers. The indoor life is the

next best thing to premature burial.

--Ed Abbey

Feb 27 04

Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Always Free)

--West Virginia state motto

Mar 2 04

I am one of you no longer; by the trails my feet have
broken,

The dizzy peaks I’ve scaled, the camp-fire’s
glow;

By the lonely seas I’ve sailed in—

yea, the final word is spoken,

I am signed and sealed to nature. Be it so.

—-Robert Service, from THE RHYME OF THE
REMITTANCE MAN

Mar 5 04

The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast and you miss all

that you are traveling for. --Louis L'Amour

Mar 9 04

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for
the future of the human race.

—-H.G. Wells

Mar 12 04

Wander a whole summer if you can. The time will not be
taken from the sum of life.

Instead of shortening, it will indefinitely lengthen
it and make you truly immortal.

--John Muir

Mar 16 04

May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon
on a dark night,

and the road downhill all the way to your door.

--Irish blessing

Mar 19 04

Give me the splendid silent sun with all his beams
full-dazzling.

-- Walt Whitman, LEAVES OF GRASS

Mar 23 04

As long as I live, I'll hear waterfalls and birds and
winds sing. I'll interpret

the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the
avalanche. I'll acquaint

myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as
near the heart of the world

as I can. -- John Muir

Mar 29 04

It is in our nature to explore, to reach into the
unknown.

The only true failure would be not to explore at all.

--Sir Ernest Shackleton

Apr 2 04

The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

Apr 6 04

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving

safely, in one handsome and well-preserved piece. You
should slide broadside

across that finish line, thoroughly used up, worn out,
leaking oil, and

shouting 'Geronimo!'

--Unknown

Apr 9 04

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing
something completely pointless.

--Calvin from the CALVIN AND HOBBES comic strip

Apr 13 04

Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get
there some day.

--Winnie the Pooh

Apr 16 04

Calories, carbohydrates and pain killer all rolled
into one. A hiker's best friend!

-- Thru-hiker referring to beer on the DVD "REALLY
LIVIN'"

Apr 20 04

It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it
is the journey that matters in the end.

-- Ursula K. LeGuin

Apr 23 04

The tragedy of modern man is not that he knows less
and less about the meaning of his own

life, but that it bothers him less and less.  --Vaclav
Havel

Apr 27 04

I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,

I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

- Walt  Whitman

April 30 04

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of
them are dirt.

--Anon.

May 4 04

And of what value was the journey? It is as well for
those who ask such questions

that there are others who feel the answer and never
need to ask.

-- Wally Herbert, polar explorer

May 7 04

I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to
stay out till

sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

--John Muir

May 11 04

Let us probe the silent places, let us seek what luck
betide us;

Let us journey to a lonely land I know.

There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star
agleam to guide us,

And the Wild is calling, calling. . . let us go.

--Robert Service, THE CALL OF THE WILD

May 14 04

It is not down in any map; true places never are.

--Herman Melville, MOBY DICK

May 18 04

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or

we find it not. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

May 21 04

Everyone comes back. It makes no difference how far we
wander, we

always have our country, our land, in our souls and
our minds.

--Ruben Blades

May 25 04

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river
runs through it. The river

was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks
from the basement of

time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops.
Under the rocks are the

words, and some of the words are theirs.  I am haunted
by waters.

--Norman Maclean, A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT

May 28 04

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the
human spirit.

--Ed Abbey

June 1 04

Running provides happiness which is different from
pleasure.

Happiness has to do with struggling and enduring and
accomplishing.

--George Sheehan

June 4 04

...for there is no opiate like Alpine pedestrianism.

--Mark Twain, A TRAMP ABOARD

June 8 04

I learned early that the richness of life is found in
adventure. Adventure calls on all

the faculties of mind and spirit. It develops
self-reliance and independence. Life then

teems with excitement. But man is not ready for
adventure unless he is rid of fear. For

fear confines him and limits his scope. He stays
tethered by strings of doubt and

indecision and has only a small and narrow world to
explore.

--William O. Douglas, OF MEN AND MOUNTAINS

June 11 04

Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,

A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse--and Thou

Beside me singing in the Wilderness--

And Wilderness is Paradise enow.

--Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám

June 15 04

Never for me the lowered banner, never the last
endeavour.

--Sir Ernest Shackleton

June 18 04

..there is always a Land of Beyond for those who are
true to the trail.

--Robert Service

June 22 04

Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with
one's clothes,

and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the
battered spirit.

A few of those days and you can become drunk with the
belief that all's

right with the world.  --Ada Louise Huxtable

June 25 04

I know dark clouds will gather o'er me

I know my pathway's rough and steep

But golden fields lie out before me

Where weary eyes no more shall weep

-- THE WAYFARING STRANGER (Traditional)

June 29 04

The mind and body do not necessarily have to follow
the the same path.

--Anon.

July 2 04

Surely the true path is to dive deep into nature.

--Vincent Van Gough

July 6 04

Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in
the mountains.

It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like
proving a unified field

theory, mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the
perfect cup of coffee,

the game can never be won. -- Smoke Blanchard

July 9 04

Not all who wander are lost.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

July 13 04

...never easy, often painful, but always rewarding.

--from the Colorado Trail data book

July 16 04

What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And
joy

is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat
and make money. We eat and make

money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life
means and what life is for.

--George Mallory, on climbing Mount Everest

July 20 04

A traveler. I love his title. A traveler is to be
reverenced as such.

His profession is the best symbol of our life. Going
from--toward;

it is the history of every one of us.

-- Thoreau

July 23 04

A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off
on their own,

and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let
them take risks, for godsake,

let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten
by bears, buried alive

under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of
any free American.

--Ed Abbey

July 27 04

Do not look to the ground for your next step;
greatness lies with those who look to

the horizon. --Norwegian Proverb

July 30 04

To travel, to experience and learn; that is to live.

-- Tenzing Norgay

Aug 3 04

Far away there in the sunshine are my highest
aspirations. I may not reach them, but I

can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and
follow where they lead.

-- Louisa May Alcott

Aug 6 04

Everything else being equal,choose a john with a view.

-- Colin Fletcher

Aug 10 04

Live well. It is the greatest revenge.

--The Talmud

Aug 13 04

The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the
sound of it,

but you do not know where it comes from or where it
goes.

--John 3:8

Aug 17 04

Remember that nature and the elements are neither your
friend or your enemy;

they are actually disinterested.

--Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76
"Survival" Oct. 1970

Aug 20 04

Travelling is a brutality. It forces you to trust
strangers and to

lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and
friends. You are

constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the
essential things

- air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky; all things
tending towards

the eternal or what we imagine of it.  --Cesare Pavese

AUG 24 04

Smegma, dogmatagram, fishmarket stew

Police in a corner, gunnin' for you

Appletoast, bedheated, furblanket rat

Laugh when they shoot you, say

"Please don't do that". --Phish

AUG 27 04

It is our mission to interactively fashion long-term

high-impact meta-services so that we may continually

disseminate parallel leadership skills for 100%

customer satisfaction.

- Dilbert Mission Statement Generator

AUG 31 04

"What will you have, Norm?"

"Well, I'm in a gambling mood, Sammy. I'll take a

glass of whatever

comes out of that tap."

"Oh, looks like beer, Norm."

"Call me Mister Lucky."

Sam Malone/Norm Petersen -- Cheers

SEPT 3 04

Live Simply so that others may simply live.
~Elizabeth Ann Seton.

SEPT 7 04

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome,
dangerous, leading to

the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into
and above the

clouds. ~ Edward Abbey

SEPT 10 04

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it

attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir
(1838-1914)

SEPT 14 04

We should eat all our food so we shan't have to carry
it.

--Winnie the Pooh

SEPT 17 04

When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was
on me, I was assured by mature

people that maturity would cure this itch. When years
described me as mature, the remedy

prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured
that greater age would calm my fever

 and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will
do the job. Nothing has worked. ...

In other words, I don't improve, in further words,
once a bum always a bum.

I fear the disease is incurable. -- John Steinbeck,
TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY

SEPT 21 04

Nobody seems more obsessed by diet than our
antimaterialist, otherworldly, New Age,

spiritual types. But if the material world is merely
illusion, an honest guru should

be as content with Budweiser and bratwurst as with raw
carrot juice, tofu, and

seaweed slime. --Ed Abbey

SEPT 24 04

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.

--Albert Camus

SEPT 28 04

When despair grows in me and I wake in the middle of
the night at the

least sound in fear of what my life and my children's
lives may be,

I go and lie down where the wood drake

rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron
feeds.

I come into the peace of wild things

who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.

I come into the presence of still water.

And I feel above me the day-blind stars

waiting for their light.

For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am
free.

--Wendell Berry, THE PEACE OF WILD THINGS

OCT 1 04

Strange the faithless fuss made about taking a walk in
the safest and pleasantest

of all places, a wilderness. --John Muir

OCT 5 04

Life is cruel? Compared to what?

--Ed Abbey

OCT 8 04

Support bacteria - they're the only culture some

people have. --Steven Wright

OCT 12 04

I was the world in which I walked.

--Wallace Stevens, TEA AT THE PALAZ OF HOON

OCT 15 04

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!

Though wind may blow and rain may fall.

We must away ere the break of day.

Far over wood and mountain tall.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, LORD OF THE RINGS

OCT 19 04

It is always there, of course, when you come back from
the green world. You

have been living by sunrise and sunset, by wind and
rain, surrounded by the

ebb and flow of lives that respond only to such
simple, rhythmic elements.

But now the tone and tempo of the days switch. Instead
of harmony, jangle.

--Colin Fletcher, WINDS OF MARA

OCT 22 04

It is a great art to saunter.

--Thoreau

OCT 26 04

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not
possible.  --Frank Zappa

OCT 29 04

Hark! Hark to the wind! 'Tis the night, they say,

When all souls come back from the far away-

The dead, forgotten this many a day!

--Virna Sheard

NOV 2

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become
President;

I'm beginning to believe it. --Clarence Darrow

NOV 5

Hell, I never vote for anybody, I always vote against.
--W.C. Fields

NOV 9 04

Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate
yourself to walk very far.

--Thomas Jefferson

Nov 12 04

...as everyone knows, meditation and water are wedded
forever.

--Herman Melville, MOBY DICK

NOV 16 04

The sun is slowly sinkin'

The day is almost gone

Still darkness falls around us

And we must journey on

--DARKEST HOUR IS JUST BEFORE DAWN (Traditional)

NOV 19 04

For as I far as I can see, the canyon country of
southern Utah extends

in all directions. No compass can orient me here, only
a pledge to love

and walk the terrifying distances before me. What I
fear and desire most

in the world is passion. I fear it because it promises
to be spotaneous,

out of my control, unnamed, beyond my reasonable self.
I desire it because

passion has color, like the landscape before me. It is
not pale. It is

not nuetral. It reveals the backside of the heart.

--Terry Tempest Williams, RED

NOV 23 04

I'm drunk on the fiery elixer of beauty.

--Everett Ruess, VAGABOND FOR BEAUTY

NOV 30 04

There is something in the country...in the vastness
and emptiness of it, that

resists knowing, --Rob Schultheis, THE HIDDEN WEST

DEC 3 04

Talk of mysteries! Think of our life in nature - daily
to be shown matter,

to come in contact with it, rocks, trees, wind on our
cheeks, the solid

earth! the actual world! the common sense! Contact!
Contact!

--Thoreau, KTAADN

DEC 7 04

Of one thing I am certain, the transformation I yearn
for is incomplete. I

do not know whether I am any closer to enlightenment -
I do not really expect

to acheive it - but I know that the attempt is worth
the effort.

--Oliver Statler, JAPANESE PILGRIMAGE

DEC 10 04

We do not commonly live our life out and full; we do
not fill all our pores

with blood; we do not inspire and expire fully and
entirely enough ... We

live but a fraction of our life. Why do we not let on
the flood, raise the

gates, and set all our wheels in motion?

--Thoreau

DEC 14 04

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so
that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
--Cherokee saying

DEC 17 04

Oh! the snow, the beautiful snow, Filling the sky and
earth below, Over the

housetops, over the street, Over the heads of the
people you meet.

Dancing, Flirting, Skimming along.

--J.W.Watson

DEC 21 04

There is a privacy about it which no other season
gives you....

In spring, summer and fall people sort of have an open
season on each other;

only in the winter, in the country, can you have
longer, quiet stretches when

you can savor belonging to yourself. -- Ruth Stout

DEC 28 04
All the best to you in the future, even though the
future ain't what it used to be.
--Yogi Berra, from a college commencement speech

DEC 31 04

Ring out the old, ring in the new,

Ring, happy bells, across the snow:

The year is going, let him go;