[at-l] Not Meaning to Start Something---

In a message dated 2/16/2005 2:55:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

I toyed  with the idea of writing a book. I was discouraged by an editor for
a major  publishing outfit I met on the trail. He assured me that the trail
book market  was way over filled.

Writing a book that will appeal to the general public is a worthy  ambition.
Editors should stick to editing not forecasting. Publishers have  some feel
for the market (or should have) but even they have been wrong a whole  lot of
the time.  Editors know how to make a book come alive or at a  minimum know how
to insert punctuation and rearrange grammar.  They check  for consistency in
a book and check (some do) on research.  If you have a  book within you then
write it.  The quest for the perfect book about the  trail is like searching
for the holy grail.

BTW Bill Bryson did write about the Trail -- The Appalachian Trail -- and  he
inspired hundreds of people to take a chance on a dream.  He did not  hike
the whole trail but he hiked more of it than I did.  He described it  pretty
well and allowed many non-hikers to get a glimpse of the concept of  hiking the
AT.  Too many are jealous of his success (financially) and hate  the idea that
he made money on something he did not reverence.  I read his  book twice and
it gets better the second time.  Perhaps I will read it  again now that I have
had the experience of a week on the trail under my  belt.  Who knows?  I may
get inspired to return to Springer and start  all over again!

Skylander