[at-l] speaking of winter clothing

On Feb 15, 2005, at 8:59 AM, ken bennett wrote:

> On 2/15/05 8:44 AM, "amy" <askowronek@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> I stuffed my pack last night for what I hope will be a trip this
>> weekend.  Winter gear thanks to the time of year.  Then I weighed it.
>> Ow.  Without food, water, or fuel, it was 19 pounds.  All that warm
>> stuff adds up.
>

> That's lighter than my winter pack right now. I'm in the 24-pound range
> without food or water. How low a temp range can you handle with that 19
> pounds?

I'm good down to about 20 degrees at night, lower if I go to ground.
(I sleep in a hammock.)

FWIW, my cold weather gear consists of powerstretch top and bottom to
hike in, camp synthetic long johns, thick smartwools and liners, camp
fleece socks, camp waldies, a long neck gaiter, a fleece hat, a fleece
balaclava, powerstretch gloves, waterproof gloves, raincoat and
rainpants, gaiters, a wind shirt, and a fleece vest.   And a rain hat
and often an earband. (Wooee!  That's a lot of clothes.)  To sleep in I
have a hammock with an underquilt and shell for around t he underquilt,
a quilt and a shell for over the quilt, and a pad to stick in the
hammock if I need it.  The underquilt can be used as a poncho in camp
if it's really stinking cold.

> I could lighten up considerably with the proper application of cash.
> But you
> know how it is....

There's never enough money to buy the gear that weighs two ounces.  :)

-amy