[at-l] 2005 thru-hike soapbox...

In a message dated 2/10/2005 8:59:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
yugrekih@yahoo.com writes:

Please  hike-your-own-hike, even if you don't know
what that is.  I recommend  purposely avoiding becoming a member of a
group.  There are hundreds  of hikers out there, and saying hello to
them all as they hike past you  would be a great idea...

Down from the  soapbox...

Getting down from the soapbox may seem prudent but the information that you
have shared is valuable.  It is especially relevant for new hikers but  anyone
that has experience can also benefit from the reminders that you  preach.
Friends are valuable and when one is included in a group that  "jells" it can be
a wonderful thing; however, as you point out, others will come  along and
they will also become friends as they become known.

It is good to remember that people are very similar in their psychological
makeup and are not that dissimilar from ourselves.  What I want is what  others
want.  What I enjoy others also enjoy.  What is distasteful to  me is
distasteful to others. Of course, having said that it also can be annoying  to be
with people who approach life from a different path; who have different  values,
and different "rules" for living.

So, being a part of a group that is compatible can be very valuable and
comforting.  When one is found it becomes difficult to part ways, and while  other
people will come along there is trepidation that they might not be exactly
the same.  Well, they won't be exactly the same.  Some people have  attributes
that others do not have.  Over time it is possible to see the  qualities that
may lie deep within.  Others may have shallow qualities --  on the surface of
their lives -- that are evident immediately, Then there are  those who have
qualities deep within that come to the fore over time; something  like what is
experienced in a marriage as time allows knowledge of each other to  surface as
the inner person becomes known through the effervescence of natural
carbonation.

If I have come full circle in my response or perhaps full spiral or if
switchback mentality has become evident then I confess that these thoughts are
mere ramblings of a would be hiker who misses the wood trail.

Skylander