[at-l] Re: The eternal question / Nighttime pee pea

On Feb 6, 2005, at 2:46 PM, W F Thorneloe wrote:

> The big change in electrolytes overnight will be calcium transport in
> and out of muscles and bones. Hopefully, supper will have replenished
> lost sodium and potassium. The smart hiker will adjust diet to
> increase calcium and magnesium intake. Calcium transport requires a
> great deal more fluids.

This is very interesting.  Do you recommend hikers carry Tums or what?

> You have to have some water on board to make glucose from fats and
> amino acids, as well as to prime the pump of Kreb's Cycle. This is a
> fun thing to review while climbing up the south face of Roan Mountain.
> Kreb's Cycle transforms glucose into energy, water and CO2.

Dude, I don't want to call you a nerd, but the ones who thought Kreb's
Cycle was fun when I was in school always carried pencil protectors.

> You will stay warmer with a bit of calories and water prior to bed, or
> upon awakening shivering.

Midnight gorp!  Of course, you either have to deal with a foodbag in
the dark, or hope the bears don't notice the handful of snacks you're
clutching in the sleeping bag.  I figure on the seriously cold nights
the bears are snoozing under a log somewhere.  ;)

-amy