[at-l] About Journaling

At 05:11 PM 2/6/2005 -0500, Bob C wrote:
>Well, Let's see. I know Piaget studied both clams and kids and died three
>years before I assembled my first computer -- a learning experience,
>incidentally. Having read quite a lot of words on a computer over the past
>20+ years, I could understand why he might think computer-driven writing
>inferior to the pen and paper.
>
>But I blame laziness, not the means of recording expression, as the reason
>for most computer drivel. Very few seem to use the primary advantage of
>computers --  the ease of revision.
>
>However, I am curious about the alleged value of pencil and paper over
>electronic keyboards.
>
>Weary

As a visually oriented person, I can't speak so much for words, but I know
that there is something to the mental phenomenon that the right/left brain
theory is trying to explain. The best exposition I have read of it is in
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's "FLOW: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" and
subsequent writings. I have experienced it while drawing, running and
bicycling. It is a very real mental state that is quite different from your
ordinary waking state, very aware and very focused. Time ceases to exist.
The right/left brain theory tries to explain it in terms of the physical
processes of thought but the study the theory is based on used far too
small a sample and the subjects were all people who had abnormal brains to
begin with so there is some doubt that the outcome applies to the normal
brain. In any case the physical process occurring inside the brain is of
interest only to neurologists. Knowing which synapses are firing will not
help you attain a state of flow.

I disagree with the idea that computers necessarily interfere or prevent
one from achieving the same level of focus as pencil and paper. I have in
fact had limited experiences of that sort while working with my computer.
The key, I believe, is familiarity. To the extend one wrestles with the
medium, it will block the experience. It is your unfamiliarity with the
tool/medium/instrument that blocks the experience, not the
tool/medium/experience itself. Watch a concert violinist some time as they
play. The really great ones will close their eyes much of the time and move
with the music. The instrument is simply an extension of their body that is
necessary to produce the sound. They aren't thinking about how to play the
notes. That's automatic. They aren't "playing" the music, it is flowing
through them.

Saunterer who can't pronounce Csikszentmihalyi's name but highly recommends
his books.