[at-l] Boy Scout Boots

> Now as to price, style, construction, etc.  I'd look at trailrunners. You
> should be able to find what you need for around half the cost quoted.  BTW
> what you need is a good fit -- not style.

> One other point in you message caught my eye -- a 45 lb pack.

As far as I know, Philmont still requires full-on, traditional tall leather
backpacking boots. No trail runners allowed. (If that's changed, it's
recent.) Also, they have had, and probably still have, specific requirements
for gear that preclude a lot of light/ultralight stuff. So the 45 pound pack
is probably a good estimate.

Everything else David said is right on the money -- fit is everything, and
I'd wait until fairly close to the departure date before buying boots. A few
dayhikes and a long weekend backpacking trip will break them in, especially
if you avoid the really heavy and stiff boots.

The Asolo 520 boots are a good compromise -- comfortable and easy to break
in for all-leather boots-- but they are expensive, no doubt about that.

Normally, I wouldn't recommend shopping at REI or LL Bean for boots -- they
tend to go overboard on their recommendations -- but in this case, it might
be a good idea. Heck, you need overboard, so why not go someplace that
specializes in it? <grin>

REI lists three 'backpacking boots' on their site, including the Montrail
Torre, all-leather high cut boot for $125. If it fits, that might be an
option (though it has the decorative stitching David mentioned all over it).
REI also has a list of 'lightweight backpacking' boots with a number of
decent choices. My hiking partner really likes the Garmont Vegan boots (OK,
so they're not leather), and the REI Monarch II would be an solid but
economical choice for a growing young man.

If there's an REI nearby, that might be the best choice. Otherwise, take a
look at their web site

http://www.rei.com/shop/Footwear.htm?stat=side_16

For some ideas, then go find a good outfitter near home.

Hope this helps,

Ken