[at-l] Tyvek vs Trash Bag (3 mil)

On Feb 3, 2005, at 12:48 PM, W F Thorneloe wrote:

> Roy wonders about retiring a tried and true trash bag (I'm betting a
> compactor bag) with 5x9 Tyvek sheet.
>
> The Bag is probably cheaper and lighter, unless you get Tyvek from a
> work site. The bag is probably still lighter. If you want a
> lightweight ground cloth/emergency poncho, consider a small silnylon
> tarp, but that will be much more expensive.
>
> I have a Tyvek sheet from my Nomad that I use as a ground cloth. I
> also have compactor bags that keep my gear dry in the pack. I also
> have a silnylon tarp for shelter. I could probably go light by ridding
> myself of at least one of those, but I like the convenience.

Yeah, convenience is good.  I have a couple of things that could
theoretically serve the same purpose.  On the other hand, if I use a
poncho as a shelter and then I need to leave the shelter, I have
nothing to keep dry with.

I'm *still* pondering the silnylon rainskirt issue.  I wonder if it
would stick to wet legs.

-amy