[at-l] Ice bound in Atlanta

Biscuits -- in the north anyway -- don't require yeast. But they do need some kind of leavening agent, i.e. baking powder. However, buttermilk and baking soda produces a leavening of sorts. If you want to experiement, and have baking soda, mix a quarter teaspoon with a cup of flour. Add a half teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of sugar, and whatever buttermilk powder the package says will make a half cup of liquid.

Stir the mixture well with a wire whip, then using the wire whip or your fingers, chop in a rounded tablespoon of butter. If you do it right, the mixture will look a little like corn meal.

Stir in a half cup of water. It should be well mixed but not soggy wet. If the latter, sprinkle on some extra flour. It needs to be dry enough to be kneaded (squeezed between your hands) 15 or 20 times. Pat the concoction out until it's a half inch thick. Cut into biscuits with a biscuit cutter, glass or tin can, and bake at 450 degrees 10-12 minutes. I guarantee nothing. The same mixture makes trail biscuits, cooked in front of a fire, though I use baking powder, not buttermilk powder and baking soda, most of the time.

Weary