[at-l] The "Grit" Debate - Corn on the Cob

I knew some farmer folks who'd told of setting up
a kettle over firewood, right next to the
cornfield. Once the water was boiling they picked
the corn and plunked it immediately into the
boiling water. I'm not sure about this, but I
think they threw the whole thing into the water,
husk and all.

They'd explained to me that almost instantly
after picking, the sugar in corn starts to break
down into starch, hence the hurry to get 'em
cooked and eaten at their very freshest and
sweetest!

The very best corn on the cob  I'd ever had was
on a hike in CT (the HATT hike back in 2000). The
trail ran alongside a cornfield. I couldn't
resist -- I grabbed a hefty sized cob, peeled
back the husk and ate the corn cold. It was sweet
and juicy and hmmm - good!  When I got to a road
at the end of the field, I went to the farmhouse
and left a quarter on the porch with a "thank
you" note.

Ready