Red-eye gravy [Was: Re: [at-l] Re: The "Grit" Debate]

Now that brings up another discussion -- what is red-eye-gravy?

I have ordered it in restaurants and have them serve anything from plain milk gravy to sawmill gravy.

To me it is a little coffee mixed into the grease left from frying true salt-cured ham (Not this pale imitation sold in store today, which requires refrigeration.).  Some folk mixed a bit of flour into the hot grease before adding the coffee.  That was OK also.

Chainsaw

Yes, you should be able to see through red-eye gravy, whereas you can't see through sawmill gravy.  Red-eye gravy is a clear concoction made from the ham juice and grease and some black, unsugared coffee.  When it soaks into the biscuit or grits, it leaves just a little of the pot scrapings to mark its descent.

anklebear