[at-l] Cell Phones -- Perception

That cell tower was as much a fantasy as MacKaye's devotion to a wilderness
preservation scheme for the AT. Work Camps, Lumber Yards, Insane Asylums
and more should allow even old codgers to understand just how "civilized"
the AT would have become if more effective leadership hadn't asserted
itself - assuming that it didn't die as a pipe dream.

Once more, this thread began with RnR fantasizing that cell phones were
used as safety nets by two hikers who were ill prepared for the trail
conditions encountered. Their use of the cell phone was on a road walk. He
similarly criticized an experienced, older, injured hiker in the GSMNP who
has subsequently lost much of a foot. The cell phone in that case solely
localized him to the north eastern section of the park.

Some folks appear to prefer morbidity and mortality over basic human
decency. Others live in a real world.

OrangeBug