[at-l] 2006 SORUCK...

2006 SORUCK...

With the 2005 SORUCK behind us, a lot has been learned.  Much feedback
has been gathered from all involved in the coordination of the event,
and from the attendees.  Any of you have the opportunity to raise your
hands if you wish to coordinate the 2006 SORUCK.  Those who wish this,
please raise your hands soon, so a decision can be made.  This event is
busting at the seams, having grown to nearly 90 participants.  As the
coordinator of the last two SORUCKs, I am the person at fault for
growing this event from the low-key-informal-meet-and-greet it once
was.  You all have an opportunity to select someone as coordinator that
will try and preserve the event as it once was.  But, alas, if I am to
be the coordinator for the 2006 SORUCK, please expect:

NOC WANTS US TO COME BACK - so the 2006 SORUCK will be a 4-day event at
NOC over MLK weekend (Jan 13, 14, 15, 16)...

ACCOMMODATIONS - all reservations for cabins and bunkhouses will go
through a single volunteer, and all monies will be collected prior to
the event (NOC is very easy to work with, but they understandably want
their money before the event).  As we saw this year, stealth tenting
opportunities abound.  This should again not be a problem.  Anyone
wishing to RV (there are no hookups) or stay in their vehicle, this
should not be a problem.  We'll talk to motels in Bryson City,
Robbinsville and Cherokee and Fontana Dam to try and get some good
rates.  Jeff and Nancy Hoch operate the HIKE INN, not far from NOC, and
they should be open.  You can always hike to the Rufus Morgan Shelter,
or the Wesser Bald Shelter, or the Sassafras Gap Shelter for a night...

DINING - the Community Room will be for dining only.  Mealtimes will
have a start and end time.  Stragglers will not be accommodated...

KITCHEN - the kitchen will be off limits to everyone not involved in
meal preparation or cleanup...

RESTAURANT - the Rivers End restaurant will be open...

PRESENTATIONS/SEMINARS/TALKS/TUCKERIZATIONS - we will have Kleinrath
Hall, and possibly a second facility, available.  Please also consider
doing your thing outdoors, at the tent platform area, or at the Rufus
Morgan Shelter, as examples...

MANUFACTURERS/RETAILERS/PROVIDERS/ORGANIZATIONS/CLUBS - there will be
an outdoor area designated for booths/displays...

OUTFITTER - the NOC outfitter store will have an expanded role in the
event...

HIKES - hey, what are we here for???  Let's plan more, and varied,
hikes.  After all, we are smack dab on one of the most gorgeous spots
on the Appalachian Trail...

HIKE TO THE RUCK - the opportunity to hike to the RUCK from the North
or South is outstanding.  A hike North from Springer, or South from Hot
Springs, could start New Years Day.  Or, plan a week-long hike (North
from Dicks Creek Gap, or South from Newfound Gap) or a 3-day hike
(North from Winding Stair Gap, or South from Fontana Dam), as
examples...

BONFIRE - three nights - three bonfires...

SIDE ACTIVITIES - don't forget rafting and train rides...

Any and all feedback will be appreciated...

Pitts, Pittsy, Pittsia, Pittsburg, Pittsburgh and family
www.hikeusa.biz