[at-l] I've fallen and I can't get up!

Backpacker magazine (March issue p.101) carries an ad for a handy little
electonic device for backpackers who have not yet mastered the cell
phone.  The "TerraFix 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon" will according to
the ad "take the 'search' out of search and rescue.  Simply push
activation buttons and your I.D. and location will be transmitted
through global satellites to the closest SAR professionals.  Your
LAT/LON is added via the onboard GPS or when interfaced with an external
GPS, narrowing the search and dramatically decreasing the response
time."  The ad does not indicate if the device can communicate the
user's GPS location to the user.

I suppose a product of this sort might provide a margin of safety to
some wilderness adventures.  But the idea of it is just a bit bizzare.
It looks like a panic button, with a couple of leds that I guess let you
know the battery is not dead.   At least you know if a cell phone is not
working....this thing does not look to be designed to communicate
anything to the user.