[at-l] Boston Blizzard report

Shoveled nine inches of snow before I went to sleep last night.  Just got
back in from shoveling another 15 inches or so.   I'm not sure how much of
that fell from the storm or blew off all the houses around here.  Blizzard
conditions still predominate with very high winds, low visibility, and lots
of blowing and drifting snow.  Some of the drifts I was shoveling were over
three feet.  I haven't even tackled my car yet which is parked in the
street.  While the wind has kept the car mostly clear, the drifts around the
car are in the three feet range.

Thankfully, it's still very cold (10 F) and the snow is very light.   Of
course, that means that every time you throw a shovelful of snow, half of it
blows back onto the sidewalk/driveway/me/etc.  The front yard is very small
and the huge pile of snow is now in the six foot range for the length of the
yard.

The storm looks to be  through most of eastern Massachusetts but with the
easterly and northeasterly winds, we're getting all the ocean effect snow on
top of the storm and expecting quite a few more inches.

The snow is too dry for a snowman or a snowball fight.  It's too windy
anyway.  Perhaps tomorrow I'll grab my snowshoes or backcountry skiis and
head for the Middlesex Fells.  Anyone local want to join me?

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor