[at-l] Cell Phones -- Perception

I still haven't seen a post critical of organizing or publicizing trail magic.
How exactly is a cell phone a greater threat to "organized wildness" than
organized trail magic?

If cell phone towers are the problem, why is it OK to have web cams in
wilderness areas?

Lacking any such consisitency, seems to me the argument is no longer about
"wilderness" or the "hiking community" but about a certain fad in personal
communication devices that will likely pass in a few years.

Interesting how people who actually don't care one way or another about the
subject under discussion seem more than willing to try to set rules for how it
should be conducted.

Old fashioned, non PC joke:(told with a fake Italian accent)
As they told the Pope concerning birth control: you no playa the game, you no
maka the rules.

10-4 Good Buddy.

--- Steve Adams <stephensadams@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I read and deleted all other threads, saving this thread for one complete
> read-through.  This is an interesting thread in only a few sad ways.
>
> RnR is accused of diminishing people.  The only accusation I?ve read from
> him is his disappointment that there are those of us, who are both hikers
> and active on a hiking list, who cannot fathom how carrying a cell phone
> into a wild environment diminishes our experience and perhaps the experience
> of others.
>
> Some of us have taken offense at him for voicing his disapproval, feigning
> we have been personally vilified, but have gone on to libel him for all
> sorts of specific offenses which I have never observed.
>
> Some ask what have we done about cell phones, and cannot conceive any effect
> we can possibly have.  If this is a standard, what have we ever done about
> anything?   Ridge runners are merely educators and advocates of hiking
> etiquette.  Isn?t that positive?  Doesn?t that have some desirable effect?
> Can?t we have similar effect upon other hikers, so long as we don?t
> infuriate them?
>
> Some contend RnR?s points are really about very little, if not nothing.  In
> this thread, I have read very few posts which have said anything.
>
> Some complain they are tired of this thread, and proclaim they won?t address
> this thread again.  Their posts continue to appear.
>
> Just some observations.
>
> Steve

=====
Want to be respected?  Be respectable.