[at-l] New England in the summer

Any chance you can push out the dates a month or so?  June is late enough to
avoid most of mud season, but you'll be in the thick of black fly season.
Black fly season usually ends in early to mid-July.

If you can't go later, consider either above treeline travel in the Whites
where wind can keep the critters at bay, or look for relatively dry
stretches of trail.  Avoid the low swampy areas in western MA (Jug End Rd.
to Tyringham and maybe more if it's a wet season).

With a three week stretch though, you're going to have to contend with black
flies and mosquitoes at some point.  Bring deet.

As for where to go...  If you like rough hiking, there's a lot to be said
for the Whites and western Maine.  Connecticut, Massachusetts, and even
southern Vermont are a bit easier on the knees.

Nothing wrong with Vermont though and with three weeks, you could do a Long
Trail thruhike.

Good luck,

Mara
Stitches, AT99

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>From: ken bennett <bennettk@wfu.edu>
>To: Appalachian Trail <at-l@backcountry.net>
>Subject: [at-l] New England in the summer
>Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:23:58 -0500
>
>Greetings to the List:
>
>We are trying to figure out where to hike this summer. We've spent the last
>two summers hiking in Georgia and North Carolina, and we're ready for a
>change. So, how about New England? What's the best 2-3 week stretch of AT,
>and what's the best time to hike it? We can go anytime from early June to
>late July, and we'd prefer to avoid 'mud season' and blackflies if at all
>possible.

[...stuff deleted...]  ;-)