[at-l] Re: at-l Wooly adelgids Was: Cell Phones -- Perception

I hope they just leave Mother Nature alone to take care of the problem in
her own way.  What sort of invasive species might the Friends be bringing
in.  Reminds me of,  "Say, wonder if we cross this African bee with....",
or "Kudzu might make a nice groundcover".   I don't trust that there is
enough known about the ultimate effects of bringing some bug that isn't here
naturally.  Sorry, but I'm a Luddite when it comes to matters like these.

gypsy

<Ya know what I wish?
<
<That someone could come up with a cure for gypsy moths, and chestnut
blight, and that new disease that's killing all the hemlocks in the
Shenandoah National <Park.  I do trail work out there, and some sections of
the park look like
<fallout from Chernobyl with all the dead trees.  Now THERE'S a threat to
organized wildness for ya.
<
<Longhaul
<If you read the newspaper from the Smoky Mountains that was on a table at
the SoRuck, you might have seen that they're trying to buy a certain kind of
bug that <eats only wooly adelgids.  The bugs are $1 each, and the Friends
of the Smoky Mountains are taking up the funds and buying the bugs.  I made
a donation at <Sugarlands on my way from the SoRuck to Knoxville.  As I rode
through Newfound Gap, I found the tree death on the ridgetops shocking.
anklebear