[at-l] Cell Phones -- Perception

At 11:11 PM 1/21/2005 -0500, Bob C wrote:
> >"...Why are we so worried about MacKaye, anyway, when he wasn't even the
> one who put the trail on the ground?" asks Leslie.
>
>Well, I don't think? "WE" are worried about Mackaye at all. RnR simply
>laments the failure of this and other AT forums to appreciate Mackaye's
>dream of a wild Appalachian Trail and from time to time criticizes those
>who seem to prefer a trail that is as civilized as possible.
>
>For reasons I find puzzling a few persist in denying that Mackaye ever
>wanted a wild trail and cite as evidence his initial proposal? in a minor
>circulation magazine devoted to what was then a fledgling profession of
>regional planners. In my? answer to OB,? I was simply pointing out the
>obvious, that though Mackaye? didn't promote a wilderness trail in that
>one article, he did so in hundreds of subsequent letters, publications and
>talks continuing over many decades.
>
>Weary

Didn't we cover all this in the last round of AT-L bashing? Look, it isn't
black vs white, wild trail vs totally civilized trail. Just because I am
willing to accept that cell phones are a fact of modern life and some
people may even attempt and sometimes succeed in making calls from the
woods does not mean I want to pave the trail and build 4 stars hotels in
place of the shelters.

You want to debate (fill in the trail issue du jour)? Try thinking in
practical terms. You know things we can conceivably do something about and
PROPOSE REALISTIC SOLUTIONS. [Hint: Stopping the wave of cell phone usage
*isn't* within the power of AT-L members] Not once, I repeat, not once in
all these 'AT-ers are out to destroy the trail' threads have I seen a
realistic argument against whatever (have you noticed that they always
*against*) or a practical solution proposed. It is all just frustrated
lashing out at those listers who have the temerity to see things
differently from those who consider themselves to be the enlightened ones.
It's past old.

Still sighing Saunterer