[at-l] Cell Phones -- Perception

 >         Leave it to the internet "Trail Community" to suddenly accept
>WIngfoot when the opportunity to lessen wilderness ethics arises. I think
>that's
>the point. I can't help but see the internet community as determined to kill
>AT
>wildness (and those who support it) as an accepted cause. That's just the
>opposite of what the AT was formed for...

More and more about less and less.  Just a bit ago someone asked about a
website for trail magic.  I think I've read that Wingfoot thinks trail magic is
not a good thing, so organizing and publicizing it can't be good. Somewhere he
posted that there were actually over a hundred organized trail magic events in
a recent season...not very "wild" after all.

I don't recall any outraged emails about any of that.

I also think I remember that the AT was supposed to be just the link between
places where the huddled masses would live and work free of the influences of
the cities.  That's not quite the same thing as "wildness" or even "organized
wildness."  That's summer camp.

=====
Want to be respected?  Be respectable.
JestBill  Ga--->Me '03