[at-l] Cell Phones -- Perception

In a message dated 1/20/2005 5:15:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:
*
*
*
RnR, it doesn't and that is the point. While you worry about whether people
carry a cell phone because  seeing/overhearing a cell phone call diminishes
your sense of wilderness
*
*
*

          It's not so much seeing a person using a cell phone on the AT than
it is seeing the whole concept of the AT itself trampled under by a mob that
doesn't care to stop to notice. I think that was the point. I find the latter
much more destructive to my sense of wilderness. I think that's mainly the
point that's being missed by the average AT user...

        I was surprised to see Wingfoot label cell phones an etiquette issue
rather than a wilderness concept one. When I asked him about this he said
confronting AT users on a philosophical level wasn't realistic with Trail
demographics. Funny that seemed a complete reversal of what he was saying himself a
few years ago and even banning people for. I think he's caught between his
guidebook and his advocacy. Knowing most people don't care about organized wildness
I guess he's delivering it in a way hikers will respond to. Still though this
is the same man who was telling us not to compromise in our defense of AT
wilderness. He did bring up the idea that technology exists to restrict cell
calls from the corridor to 911 calls only...

*