[at-l] Pot cozy "cooking" times

While talking to TinMan at the SORUCK, I realized that I had never documented
how much my pot cozy loses heat over time -- i.e., actual cooking time
available with my rig.  I knew that after about an half hour in my pot cozy
"pasta" type meals were done and still too hot to eat.  That after an hour in
my pot cozy white rice and bean (small beans) were done and still hot.  That
brown rice (direct from the store) needed a second round on the stove to cook
fully (or I need to precook it at home and dehydrate for trail use, or to use
quick cooking brown rice), etc.  However, all this was just experience in
various weather conditions/ temperatures, etc.

So, I set up an experiment, based on the following three assumptions:

1- That two cups of water approximates the mass of most meals, which I cook,
2 - That things quit "cooking" somewhere around 165 - 170* F, and
3 - That 40*F is a good ambient temperature for when I want a good hot meal.

The process:

Adjusted my basement "beer refrigerator" down to 40* F.  [Yes, normally I keep
it warmer.  Drink dark ales, ya know.]

Brought two cups of water to a full rolling boil.

Placed pot in cozy.

Placed pot and cozy in 40* refrigerator.

Set countdown timer.

At designated time removed pot and checked water temperature with instant
reading cooking thermometer.  Note -- these were independent trials, each
starting with two cups of boiling water; not opening the cozy every 10
minutes.  [Remember, that if you are looking, you are not cooking.]

The following were the results:

After 20 min = 183* F -- Hot enough to be "cooking" pasta, rice, etc
After 30 min = 174* F -- Still hot enough to be "cooking"
After 40 min = 167* F -- Re-hydrating fine; "cooking" starting to get iffy
After 50 min = 160* F -- Re-hydrating fine; "cooking" very, very iffy
After 60 min = 155* F -- Still re-hydrating, actual "cooking" is history

Conclusion: If something needs more than 30 minutes actual "cooking" I need to
return to alcohol stove to reheat at some point.  I am assuming that the best
way to avoid scorched pans is to return pot to the stove 30 minutes before the
end of the full complete cooking time.  So, brown rice (which I normally cook
45-50 minutes at home) should be brought back to a boil at about 20 minutes --
i.e., 50 minutes minus 30 minutes = re-boil at 20 minutes.  Note, if you want
to add items to thicken the sauce in a concoction (e.g., sometimes I use
tomato powder, instant mashed potato flakes, dried eggs, etc.) and if the
concoction requires a second round on the stove, I would do it at the end of
the second boil.

As always, YMMV -- esp. with different pot and cozy designs/sizes/etc.
However, a home-test like this, using your equipment, might help understand
what to expect on the trail.

Chainsaw