[at-l] Thay are studying us...

At 11:17 AM 1/20/2005 -0500, Bob C wrote:
> >"..."A novel study of hikers in the Alps made the intriguing discovery that
>different types of exercise had different effects on fats and sugars in the
>blood.
>
>Going uphill cleared fats from the blood faster, going downhill reduced
>blood sugar more, and hiking either way lowered bad cholesterol.
>
>Both types of hiking are beneficial, but one may help diabetics more than
>the other, said Dr. Heinz Drexel of the Academic Teaching Hospital of
>Feldkirch, Austria, who reported the research at a recent American Heart
>Association conference in New Orleans."
>
>Great news Jim. Except that all the hills around here have both an up and
>a down. How do I choose one, without getting the other?
>
>Weary

Well, the researchers did it using the cable car at a ski resort. They
suggested using an elevator/stair combo as an alternative but if you are in
a basically 1-2 story environment (as I am) I suppose you'll have to tough
out lowering both your blood sugar and cholesterol by hiking both uphill
and down. I expect your doctor would not object to you lowering both.