[at-l] SO Ruck Weekend Trip report

Sly said: "...One of my pet peeves is the shelter police..."

Ya know? I stayed in shelters all but a small handful of nights on the trail.

I know I snore.  Nobody said a word to me about it.

In all those shelters I heard stories of shelter police but never met one. One
guy just had to sweep the shelter before he could stay in it, but nobody
complained--or helped.

We had dogs in shelters, too many people in shelters, too talkative people in
shelters but never a policeman.  There was some small conversation before/after
certain people arrived/left about their habits, but no cops.

I'm not all that imposing a figure so I doubt it was me.
Some kids once asked me if I'd mind if they started a fire!  Well, they were
from Canada--whaddaya expect?

--- Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/18/2005 12:04:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Rcalkins@worldbank.org writes:
>
> >    And I thought I was one of the few hikers who snored.  Complaints I'm
> > used
> > to by now.  What concerns me is the thought that tired and angry
> > through-hike
> > pilgrims may end my hike by assassination if I try to sleep in shelters
> > along
> > the way...
> >

> I doubt you'll get assasinated, but you will be prodded and poked.  See, if
> some can't sleep, neither can you.
>
> One of my pet peeves is the shelter police, be it thru- or section hikers,
> always trying to make it just how they want it.  No snorers, no dogs, no loud
>
> stoves, no talking after dark, no room for more, no stinky boots, etc.
>
> If anyone one has a problem with any of the above, perhaps it's THEY that
> should set up their tent far enough away as to not be bothered.
>
> Sly

=====
Want to be respected?  Be respectable.
JestBill  Ga--->Me '03