[at-l] Cell Phones -- Perception

>"...Perhaps phones get too much of the blame. ?Still, I can't figure out why so
many fail to see how their wide-spread presence changes (at least a bit) the
wonderfull feeling of isolation that the woods can provide," note rick b.

That of course is the crux of the problem with cell phones -- for both those who carry them and those who just know they are present. The presence of cell phones -- instant communication with the outside world -- damages a bit of the wildness that some seek on trails. Yes. Cell phones occasionally save lives. But cell phones also diminish lives. The trade off is between an occasional life saved and the millions of lives diminished. Many of those with diminished lives don't really know that their lives have been diminished, because they have yet to experience wildness, and increasingly, as civilization intrudes on the last of the wild places, sadly, they never will.

Weary