[at-l] Perception - Cell Phones.

At 02:53 PM 1/14/2005 -0500, Steve Adams wrote:
>The problem may come when your "theory" meets "reality."  I label your
>thesis "theory" because if I accept your premise, that the availability of
>a cell phone may cause me to overextend my bravery/foolhardiness - the
>distinction turns upon whether my venture succeeds or fails - I must also
>accept your premise regarding other hiking matters.  And I think your
>premise is limited to a "pure" point of view.

You both got it bass ackwards. Did hikers become more foolhardy as a result
of the invention of the signal mirror or the whistle? What about the flare
gun? Do owners of cars with On-Star drive more recklessly because they know
that when they crash On-Star will call an ambulance? Did sailors first set
out across the sea because the compass had been invented? NO, NO, NO and
NO. Things get invented because someone sees a human activity that would be
augmented or benefit from the invention. Note the sequence: Activity >
Invention. Why is the cell phone any different? It's just a tool.

Humans have always taken risks. It is in human nature to want to go new
places, see and do new things. And we do, sometimes even to the point of
considerable risk. If we succeed we are 'adventurers'. If we fail we are
called 'foolish'. Both are after the fact judgements since none of us can
see the future but... we take risks anyway. How many times have you heard
it said that if life isn't an adventure it is just existence? How many
times have you said it to others?

You are confusing cause and effect, chickens and eggs, whatever. Shelly had
it right. This is a silly argument.