[at-l] Message for R&R

RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:
"Unfortunately real "AT" is evidently a language too many who promote
themselves visibly as AT members don't really understand."
"the internet Trail Community and its chat medium is a farce to me and
only serves as a drag on the real "Conservancy" AT..."
"the "AT Community") (what a joke)..."
"I'm often amazed by the general lack of obvious awareness by the Trail Co
mmunity. Frankly, it makes Trail members look dumb."
---------
R&R,

Since you are a member of the AT Community, and have exhibited an unequaled
disgust and loathing for that same community, may I suggest some ways you might
modify your opinion?

First, I suggest you meet, in person, with some of the people you type
against. Please consider participating in one or more of the following:

The Southern Ruck, which is this weekend: www.soruck.com
The PA Ruck, Jan 28-30 http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck
The BillVille Winter Warmer, Duncannon PA, March 4-6
TrailFest, in HotSprings, April 22-24 www.trailfest.net
TrailDays, in Damascus May 13-15
National Trail Day is June 4th, www.americanhiking.org
The ATC Biennial in Johnson City, TN. July 2nd, www.southernhighlands2005.org
The ALDHA Gathering, in Hanover, NH, October 7-10 www.aldha.org
The Florida AT Club: Contact Grace Tyner: gatyner@ix.netcom.com
The Florida Trail Association: www.florida-trail.org

Secondly, I suggest you go hike some on the AT this season. There are many
easy sections and shelters near road crossings. Go meet some of today's hikers.
Visit Harper's Ferry and talk with some of the great volunteers, and maybe
give a ride or two to hikers passing through. Come up to Maine and stay with me
at Baxter Park and meet the AT hikers coming through. I'm booking lean-tos in
May, August, September, and October. I'll also be hiking in the 100 mile, the
Mahoosucs, the northern Long Trail, and the Whites, as well as visiting many
service providers in NH and ME, if you need a shuttle anywhere up here just ask.

And thirdly, if interacting with other members of the 'real' and 'Internet'
AT Community as suggested above hasn't improved your opinion of us, I suggest
you find a grander scale for your complaints. Write an article for the
Appalachian Trailways News, or for the ALDHA newsletter, on why you think we are a
'"farce" and what we should do to improve ourselves. Write a calm and well
thought-out essay about how you feel about us and post it on WhiteBlaze, the at-l,
and TrailPlace. Go to an ALDHA Gathering, stand up and be recognized during
your AT year's rollcall, and speak up. And while you're there why not give a
presentation at the Dartmouth Gathering? It's easy to get on the schedule and book
a classroom. You could even schedule a campfire talk at the beach at Storrs
Pond if you want.

In conclusion, may I suggest that if you continue to contribute nothing but
keyboard enabled anger to the AT Community you're part of the problem you
constantly complain about, and not part of the solution you continue to claim we
need.

See you on the Trail,

TJ