[at-l] perception and such

At 11:15 PM 1/13/2005 -0500, Clark Wright wrote:
>I'd like to chime in on what jan recently wrote (see below) . . . my two
>favorite, most awesome quotes/thoughts these days are:
>
>1)  "All relationships in our life are eternal;"

True, only I would phrase it more simply "All relationships are eternal".

>and
>
>2)  "Memory is an act of will."

Sometimes. Memory is a funny thing. I've been trying to understand it for a
long time. I remember snippets of things that I can't connect to anything
else. Like the announcement of a bus driver "the next stop is Houseville.
(pause) Houseville?" Yes, that's how he said it. I can hear it clearly in
my head today despite the fact that I can't recall where I was coming from
or going to or why I was on the bus. It had to be when I was in The Army.
That was the only time I travelled by bus and that would be about 40 years
ago. I also remember some dreams but not others and even when I try to
remember some things, I forget them. And memory is tied to perception but
the relationship isn't clear. I had a brief discussion with Oliver Sacks
about that once. I'm still thinking about it.