[at-l] Perception/Quote

In a message dated 1/13/2005 8:30:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:
*
*
*
To assume that they relied on the phone in lieu of other emergency
preparations reveals far more about your view of cell phones than theirs.
*
*
*

        The central premise of this post strikes me as basically:

        " I'll admit no possibility that cell phones lead people to a false
sense of safety or to go deeper into trouble with the expectation of the phone
as a lifeline. In no case will I admit this. The basic problem is your way of
seeing things. "

         The rest sounds like a well thought out way of avoiding the point.
This case is a perfect example of whether conscious or not, intentional or not,
the cell phone can create situations that may not have occurred without them.
It can be as simple as not bothering to prepare because you think the cell
phone will suffice. It stands to reason that people who just necessitated a
highly visible rescue are not going to come out and admit that - "yeah we figured
we had the cell phone as a lifesaver."

           From what I read the man in the Smokies met some hikers who were
walking by him on the trail. So, he didn't necessarily need the cell phone to
be rescued. Of all these cases, I see they were all resolved as simply "cell
phone saves hiker" etc. In my opinion that label and the reasoning behind it may
not be completely accurate of what actually happened. I see a tendency for
the general hiking public to give quick approval to cell phones using this
syndrome...

      *