[at-l] Perception/Quote....Long

RnR wrote:  >I don't see where anything Jan wrote has anything to do with
that.

Nope, it sure didn't.  It had to do with the negative tone used.  Jan's
message was one of encouragement to have a more positive approach to the
whole situation.  Ever heard the words ... "You catch more flies with honey
than vinegar"?   Matter of fact...I know that you have.  LOL  But, then
again it takes all kinds to make this list so interesting.   ;-)

RnR wrote:  > That's why the internet Trail Community and its chat medium is
a farce to me and only serves >as a drag on the real "Conservancy" AT...

Sooooo...being an actively participating actor in this farce of an internet
Trail Community and its chat medium...are you trying to say that you are
also a drag on the real "Conservancy" AT?  Hmm...   :-O

RnR wrote:  >These are people who when ATC makes a desperately needed move
by changing its name can >only make superficial *negative* comments about
the move without showing any understanding of exactly >why they did.

I think from the responses that I had read from those alleged folks that
they understand that changing the name of the ATC was an attempt to focus
the business...and the ATC is a business...although a non-profit one at
that.  Changing the name is kinda like writing a mission or vision
statement.  They serve as reminders of what the organization is about and
can aid in streamlining the business entity to better meet its goals through
reorganization.  I think that the ATC management feel that by changing the
name the public will better recognize its purpose, too.

However, I have to agree with those folks that seeing as how the ATC is run
on donations,  membership dues, and ATC store sales, and as other's may say
"the public's money" that this move was not as *desperate* a need to fund as
say...trail maintenance, outdoor education (i.e-appropriate cell phone
etiquette & usage in the woods), and that kind of thing.  Does this show
that this ATC reorganization and frivolous spending on a name change is an i
ndicator of further wasted spending in the future?  Hmm...we'll just have to
wait and see, won't we?

Now, did I understand the need for the ATC to make the name change
correctly?  I would hate to make superficial negative comments about that
move without a clear understanding as to the reasons why.  :-)

RnR wrote:  Unfortunately real "AT" is evidently a language too many who
promote themselves visibly as AT >members don't really understand.

Wow...and all this time I thought it was in English!  Where do I get my
hands on a copy of the translation book that you use?  I used to call myself
an AT member...seems I paid some money to do that...but maybe I just need to
call myself a hiker.  Should I keep my money, too?  Nah...I'll let 'em waste
it on a name change--this time.  LOL  ;-D

RnR wrote:  >If the men took unnecessary risk *because* they had a cell
phone it should be noted.

Maybe, but does anyone here really think that anyone would own up to that?
LOL  (Show of hands?)

I don't think that everyone goes out into the woods and is determined to
take unnecessary risks.  "Welp...time to hit the trails & it's -40F out
there...best leave my pack.  I won't be needing it cuz I've got my cell
phone, and the rescue personnel really need to earn a living."
Sheesh...come on.

Yes, people sometimes underplan, are under-educated, and otherwise make
simple tactical mistakes.  We've all been there at one time or another in
our own moments of stupidity.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I carry one when out on the trail.  (I hear
the gasps now.  LOL)  Do I rely only on it?  No, but--and most especially
when I have my daughter with me--IF something terrible should happen that is
outside the scope of my first aid training and the breadth of supplies in my
first aid kit, and IF there are no other options, and IF it is a matter of
life and death, and IF I can get a signal, and IF the call will go through,
you're DURN TOOTIN' I'm gonna call somebody!  But, see...there's a lot of
IFs there, huh?  That's why I take it as a convenience...or as an option.
Whichever way you want to look at it.

However, we also have to concede that there are those that just really don't
belong in the outdoors.  And, as more and more people turn to hiking there
is an increased need for education not only on this subject...but many, many
more.  Especially with the increasing usage of cell phones.  However, I do
not think that the majority of folks that do carry cell phones into the
wilds that *have* educated themselves rely solely on their cell phone as a
first aid kit.

Cell phones can, when used appropriately and when they will work, save
lives.  It's that simple.  They are a last resort option.

And, yes people need to be educated on the appropriate usage.  Those that
call from a mountaintop for rescue because poor little Fifi (beloved poodle
at home) needs to take a potty break before a certain time---or someone
chipped a nail--or someone just doesn't feel like hiking back out---or
someone wants a pizza & beer--those idiots need to have the britches fined
off of 'em!!!

Guess ya caught me on a day I felt like "debating", huh?  LOL

Shelly Hale