[at-l] RE: Big Island (Hawaii) hike

Camo Jack writ:

>>>   Said "ditch" is an aqueduct which collects runoff for the town of
Waimea, and the maintenance trail for it is quite scenic; we hiked about
3 miles from the trailhead and back on December 29th.   <<<

My uncle has a ranch on the south side of the Kohala range that the
ditch crosses.  When he was a teenager, he and some friends hiked from
the coast, up the Waipio valley, up to the summit of Moana Loa, down to
the saddle, to the top of Moana Kea, then down to the Volcano National
park.  Took about 5 days, he remembers, and they had friends meet them
at the 2 major road crossings for water and resupply.  I?m not sure of
the total mileage, but it was mostly cross country.

Now remember that the coast is at 0' and Moana Loa and Moana Kea are in
excess of 13000.'   That's quite a climb.

Ke Kaahawe