[at-l] Does anybody have an URSACK for sale?

At 07:19 AM 1/12/2005 -0500, W F Thorneloe wrote:
>I wasn't aware that mice could get around the cables, funnels and such.
>I've not had that experience. That makes the commonly wisdom of strings
>protected by empty tuna cans seem really lame.
>
>In talking with rangers and folks in GSMNP, the idea of cables was to help
>reduce mice populations in shelters by getting food out of the shelters.
>The bear story strategy was a bit of human engineering to motivate us,
>especially as they planned to remove the cages from the shelters.
>
>If someone wants to carry an Ursack or a canister, more power to them. I
>carry a plastic Kroger bag.
>
>OrangeBug

In the Adirondacks not only have the bears gotten smarter over the years
(at least when it comes to stealing food) but squirrels and pine martens
are adept at getting your food as well. The bear problem in the High Peaks
area has reached the point that canisters are now required for overnight
hikers. I don't know if the Ursack satisfies the requirement nor do I know
how well it works against the smaller creatures. Most food thievery is the
product of learned behavior, 'I've found food here before, let's see if
that is any here now' thinking on the part of the animal. That means if you
camp where everyone else camps and hang your food where everyone hangs
their food, that's where the animals will be looking for food. I try to
hang food a couple of minutes walk away, off the trail. Hammock campers may
also have an advantage in that they can camp in non-traditional locations
more easily that those with tents.